You've gotten an assignment from your instructor that requires doing some research. Where do you begin? The Library Home Page! It's your gateway to doing research at home.
Encyclopedias and Background Information
If you are not familiar with your topic, the resources below can provide an overview and introduce you to the associated vocabulary. This will help you later when you are trying to think of search terms to enter in a database.
- Biography in Context: Comprehensive biographical reference collection in the areas of literature, science, multicultural studies, business, entertainment, politics, sports, government, history, arts and newsmakers.
- CQ Researcher: In-depth, unbiased coverage of health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online: Full text of over 120,000 articles; also includes a dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, thousands of images, and video clips.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia: General encyclopedia with over 25,000 entries on a wide variety of topics.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context: Covers a wide variety of social issues, such gun control, genetic engineering, censorship, abortion, and terrorism.
- Credo Reference: Search over 700 reference books.